Peace Crane by Hilary Taylor

Peace Crane by Hilary Taylor
Picture by Justin Wyatt
To read Hilary's story buy this special book...

This magical story has a touch of the supernatural. When an injured crane is found and nursed, something happens, something magical and inspiring...

Gentle Footprints launched- AS SEEN ON TV

Gentle Footprints was officially launched Fri June 4th at the Hay Festival with guest speaker Virginia McKenna and some of the authors


Buy from Bridge House Publishing by clicking on the link BUY:

BUY





Virginia McKenna at Hay Launch

Virginia McKenna at Hay Launch

Animal Anthology To Raise Funds for Born Free

Bridge House Publishing announce new book coming Spring 2010. For more about Bridge House please see their website.
This book is the annual charity book for Born Free...if you want to get involved with promoting and selling this book- email me!

www.bridgehousepublishing.co.uk


Visit the Born Free Website to find out more about their valuable work...

Visit the Born Free Website to find out more about their valuable work...
KEEP WILDLIFE IN THE WILD

Saturday 27 March 2010




Hi, I'm Mark and I'm a blogger. But not a very experienced one. In fact- this is my first blog. Seems pretty straightforward so far. I am the author of the Salmon story in Gentle Footprints, and I'll start by telling you a little about myself. First of all - I'm not really a writer. I'm really a father, a husband, a son and a health service manager. I only tell my friends that I write a few stories and poems from time to time. So don't let on - please.


It all started last year when I woke up one morning imagining I'd had a major stroke in the night and would die later that day. I didn't. But I did write a story about about it which has never been published. It is written in the first person but the protagonist dies at the end. This is never quite satisfactory. It certainly wasn't in the 'Lovely Bones' either. But it whetted my appetite for trying a little more.


I think it is the sheer escapism of writing your very own story. I enter a cloud of concentration and have been known to forget to eat and drink for hours as my characters lead me along a path I could only guess at when I started. Despite being busy being all those things I mentioned earlier I try to write two stories every month. I even had a go at a ghost story last year and it was accepted by Bridgehouse for publication in 'Spooked'. It is impossible to convey the simple joy that comes from having your own personal creation published and read by others. Magic.


I have also started a novel. It's hit a bit of a snag after 40,000 words. For a start the characters in the first two chapters are far too recognisable. My friends would never forgive me. And now I have a new job for which I have to travel half the length of the country. So it needs re-writing and finishing. One day.


I also have to find time for a number of other thrilling activities. If you've never sung in a choir before - have a go. I hadn't until ten years ago but now I'm a regular in two. I didn't read music and had never played an instrument. I won't say there havn't been some scary moments but it is superb fun most of the time. My novel is about singing.


Golf occupies some time too but I never play enough to become good. I keep trying to think up stories based around golf but have never come up with anything remotely readable so far. I've never heard of a 'great golf novel' either! Any ideas?


Ah! And then there's poetry. If only I could write it. The swing and rhythm of words arranged to tell a story by their sound and cadence as much as by their meaning. A hard trick to pull off but one I'd like to do much more off. Bridgehouse should try a poetry anthology shouldn't they?


So - why write for an animal antholgy? And why salmon? Log in tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment