Peace Crane by Hilary Taylor

Peace Crane by Hilary Taylor
Picture by Justin Wyatt
To read Hilary's story buy this special book...

This magical story has a touch of the supernatural. When an injured crane is found and nursed, something happens, something magical and inspiring...

Gentle Footprints launched- AS SEEN ON TV

Gentle Footprints was officially launched Fri June 4th at the Hay Festival with guest speaker Virginia McKenna and some of the authors


Buy from Bridge House Publishing by clicking on the link BUY:

BUY





Virginia McKenna at Hay Launch

Virginia McKenna at Hay Launch

Animal Anthology To Raise Funds for Born Free

Bridge House Publishing announce new book coming Spring 2010. For more about Bridge House please see their website.
This book is the annual charity book for Born Free...if you want to get involved with promoting and selling this book- email me!

www.bridgehousepublishing.co.uk


Visit the Born Free Website to find out more about their valuable work...

Visit the Born Free Website to find out more about their valuable work...
KEEP WILDLIFE IN THE WILD

Tuesday 15 June 2010

The Otter Lutra Lutra

I remember wanting to have a pet otter in my bath after watching Ring of Bright Water when I was a kid- also of course starring Virginia McKenna. And I also remember Tarka the Otter and how I cried at the end- I can still remember it- a bubble shook the surface and then another. And then no more... something like that.

A friend of mine did an otter project with Snowdonia National Parks as part of her MSc. I spent the summer counting Sandwich Terns into a colony where they were nesting with Black-headed Gulls- I was actually looking at something called Kleptoparasitism which is food piracy. And my friend was at the same time tracking otters in Snowdonia. Except sadly they are so elusive all she was able to study was their spraints (poos to you!)

What wonderful animals they are- I dreamed of seeing them in Scotland when I visited Mull. I was supposed to take a trip with Lee and we loved Scotland so much. It took me a couple of years to be able to finally take that trip after he died and I ordered otters one morning in his honour. And he came through- because there they were. We rounded a corner to find a mother and 2 cubs playing. All I can say is WOW. I had a little tear and thanked Lee.

So I will leave with some lovely pictures of otters:






One of my other favourite animals is the playful but elusive otter Lutra lutra






Who wants to tell us about your favourite animal tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment